Canada announced a new immigration initiative that will attract students and youth from Hong Kong to Canada by offering a new open work permit and broadening their pathways to permanent residency.
New measures will also support people from Hong Kong who are currently in Canada and want to stay, or who want to begin making plans to come to Canada when the COVID-19 travel restrictions are eventually lifted.
The Government reassure Canadians and Canadian permanent residents in Hong Kong that they can return to Canada at any time, and any documents they require will be expedited.
Family members in Hong Kong of Canadians and Canadian permanent residents may also travel to Canada under the current exemptions to travel restrictions, though all travellers to Canada must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival
The measures in detail
- Allowing eligible Hong Kong residents in Canada or abroad with recently completed post-secondary studies to apply for an open work permit, which may be valid for up to 3 years.
- A new pathway to permanent resident status for in-Canada Hong Kong residents who meet specific eligibility criteria is being created. This new pathway will be available in 2021, and criteria will include minimum language and education levels and 1 year of work experience in Canada.
- The government will also expedite study permit applications for those who want to study in Canada.
- Canada is introducing new measures to expedite documents for Canadians and Canadian permanent residents in Hong Kong, to speed up processing of permanent residence applications, including family sponsorship, which will benefit Hong Kong residents, and to encourage Hong Kong youth to study or work in Canada.
- Application processing fees are being waived for Hong Kong residents in Canada on a temporary basis who apply to renew their status to extend their stay.