New pathways for Hong Kong residents start February 8th, 2021

Hong Kong residents will be able to apply for new open work permits beginning on February 8, 2021. These permits are valid for 3 years.

Hong Kong residents must have graduated with a Canadian post-secondary diploma or degree in the last 5 years, or hold an equivalent foreign credential. A post-secondary diploma program must be a minimum of 2 years.

Hong Kong residents currently in Canada temporarily, including visitors, students and workers, can apply online from within Canada.

Applicants applying from abroad remain subject to current travel restrictions and may not be able to come to Canada at this time, unless they have a job offer or meet a travel exemption and comply with all public health requirements.

Two new permanent residency pathways for young Hong Kong residents will be available later this year.

  • Program 1 will be available for Hong Kong residents with at least 1 year of work experience in Canada and who meet the language and education criteria.
  • Program 2 will be for Hong Kong residents who have graduated from a post-secondary institution in Canada; who can then apply directly for permanent residence.

These measures apply to Hong Kong residents who hold a Hong Kong special administrative region (SAR) or British National (Overseas) (BN(O)) passport and their spouses, common-law partners and dependent children.

Read more:

Related post: