What is a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) and Am I Eligible?

A Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) is an LMIA-exempt work permit available to some economic class permanent resident applicants. An important element of the BOWP is that the applicant must have submitted their permanent residence application to qualify. This means that you have an Acknowledgement of Receipt letter (stating Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada received your permanent residence application) and a receipt for the government fee you paid.

What is a BOWP?
A one year open work permit. An open work permit allows you to work in most occupations for any employer in any location.

Who is eligible to apply for a BOWP?
Individuals who:

How do you apply for a BOWP?
A BOWP can be submitted online through your personal MyCIC account. Follow the Instruction Guide to ensure a complete application is prepared and submitted.

When can you apply for the BOWP?
After you have submitted your permanent residence application and received acknowledgement from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Dependents, such as spouses and children, are not eligible for the BOWP. If you have family members with you in Canada they may be eligible for a Spouse Open Work Permit, Visitor Records, or Study Permits depending on your personal circumstances. Ensure to always keep track of when your status expires in Canada and apply to extend your status prior to it expiring.

Written on February 07, 2022 by Barbara Kolvekova